Kingsbury Animal Hospital

420 North Skinker Blvd.
Saint Louis, MO 63130

(314)721-6251

kah.com

If you believe your pet has ingested something toxic please call us at the clinic at 314-721-6251. If this takes place after business hours and depending on the item you may still need to call poison control.

Animal Poison Control

Animal Poison Control Center

As the premier animal poison control center in North America, the APCC is your best resource for any animal poison-related emergency, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. If you think that your pet may have ingested a potentially poisonous substance, make the call that can make all the difference: (888) 426-4435. A $60 consultation fee may be applied to your credit card. National Animal Poison Control Center - This is the website of the National Animal Poison Control Center. It includes a library, links to other sites, and phone numbers for the poison control center.

Plants
Cats and Toxic Plants - This is a good resource for information about whether or not you have plants that could be toxic to your cat.

Plants Toxic to Animals   This database was created by Mitsuko Williams (Veterinary Medicine Librarian, 1983-2003) in order to assist the University of Illinois veterinary students in identifying common plants that are toxic to animals. You can search under common name or scientific name of the plant. 


AVOID Food Items That Could Cause Problems For Your Pet

  • Alcoholic beverages (can result in ethanol poisoning)
  • Chocolate (baker's, semi-sweet, milk chocolate) is toxic. Keep sweets out of a pet's reach. Chocolate contains a substance called theobromine, and even a single ounce of pure chocolate can be lethal to a small dog. Dark and unsweetened baking chocolate are the most dangerous. Symptoms of poisoning include vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, hyperactivity and seizures.   Don't forget about the hazards associated with chocolate candy wrapped in aluminum foil or mesh netting that can be trapped in a pet's digestive system.   By the way, white chocolate has little poisoning potential.
  • Coffee (grounds, beans, chocolate covered espresso beans)
  • Grapes and raisins cause kidney failure
  • Macadamia Nuts cause temporary rear limb ataxia and paralysis
  • Moldy or spoiled foods can cause mycotoxin or aflatoxin poisoning
  • Onions, onion powder can result in Heinz body anemia
  • Fatty foods
  • Salt causes hypernatremia.  If the dog does not vomit after ingesting, toxicity could result.
  • Sylitol as an artificial sweetener can cause hypoglycemia and serious liver effects.
  • Yeast dough as it's rising can result in ethanol toxicity.
  • Bones left in an accessible place are almost irresistible to pets, but they can lodge in an animal's throat or block the intestinal tract. Remove leftovers from the table and don't leave garbage where animals can get to it. Teeth can also be broken while chewing on bones.
  • Hops from making homemade ale, whether spent or not, can cause symptom's of malignant hyperthermia.  Sighthounds are especially vulnerable

MEDICATIONS

Keep all prescriptions and over-the-counter drugs out of the reach of your pets, preferably in closed cabinets. Pain killers, cold medicines, anticancer, drugs, antidepressants, vitamins, and diet pills are common examples of human medication that could be potentially lethal even in small dosages. One regular strength ibuprofen tablet (200mg) can cause stomach ulcers in a 10-pound dog. Remind holiday guests to store their medications safely as well.

During the holidays, we will be having some limited office hours. In some cases, you may try to medicate your animals without our veterinarian's advice. Never give your animal any medications unless under the directions of a veterinarian. Many medications that are used safely in humans can be deadly when used inappropriately. Less than one regular strength acetaminophen tablet (325mg) can be dangerous to a cat weighing 7lbs.

IF NECESSARY - YOU CAN REACH THE PET POISON HELPLINE AT 800-213-6680