Dr. Bret Shaw is now credentialed to perform stem cell medicine, including harvesting fat and injecting stem cells into joints/wounds. We are now offering this service for chronic arthritis, tendon/ligament injuries, fractures, etc. The most likely use right now will probably be hip dysplasia, elbow dysplasia, etc. Future uses may be liver disease, kidney disease, etc.
What is Vet-Stem Regenerative Medicine?
Regenerative medicine uses a concentrated form of autologous adipose-derived adult stem cells to treat traumatic and degenerative diseases, including bowed tendons, ligament injuries, osteoarthritis, and osteochondral defects in horses and dogs.
Success in human clinical trials and animal models
Despite its infancy, regenerative medicine is not new. Success in numerous animal models of disease and emerging success in human clinical trials for Crohn's fistulas and stroke, along with hundreds of ongoing clinical trials (See sidebar) support the rationale for stem cell use, and now success, in veterinary medicine. Vet-Stem collaborative and clinical research demonstrate positive results in treating horses with tendon and ligament injuries, osteochondral defects, and osteoarthritis.
Stem cells are multipotent and can differentiate into tendon, ligament, bone, cartilage, cardiac, nerve, muscle, blood vessels, fat, and liver tissue. The stromal fraction that is harvested from adipose tissue is a heterogeneous mixture of regenerative cells.
Differences in Regenerative Medicine compared to traditional medicine;
- Does not rely on a single target receptor or a single pathway for its action
- Regenerative cell mixture is delivered either directly to the traumatic wound (e.g.: tendonitis, desmitis, fracture) or are delivered systemically (e.g.: liver disease, renal disease)
- Regenerative cells can differentiate into many tissue types, induce repair, and stimulate regeneration
- Regenerative cells "communicate" with the cells of their local environment through paracrine and autocrine modalities, creating the optimal environment for natural healing
- Regenerative cells produce a variety of both secreted and cell surface substances that regulate tissue growth, integrity, and function
For more information on Vet-Stem Regenerative Stem Cells, you can go to their web site which is http://www.vet-stem.com.